Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Making Yourself Uncomfortable


Yesterday evening I officially got started on a personal project that I have been thinking about doing for awhile now. I got the opportunity to work with the very talented model/dancer, Mandy Faber. We took a few shots on the beach out East Ocean View here in Norfolk, Va. It stormed a little bit before we were suppose to shoot, but the weather cleared by the time we got out there. (Thank God!!!)

I decided to start this photo study on dancers because I found myself becoming too comfortable with what I was choosing to shoot. I have been limiting my experience lately to merely the people that closely surround me and has a creative its never good to limit yourself. Besides, my passion for photography stemmed from my curiosity about people and the human condition. I love life... photography is my way of connecting and staying in tune with it. With that being said, I encourage each and every person reading this to allow yourself to see something different today. Take time out to have a conversation with someone new, someone different than your normal group of friends. If you have a camera, I don't care if its a cell phone or the latest top of the line camera out there. Take the time to take at least one photo of something you normally wouldn't shoot. Make yourself uncomfortable.

1 comment:

Travis Mendoza said...

Sam! couldn't have said it better myself! I was sitting at work the other day and thinking the exact same thing. Im too comfortable. I think we talked about my "getting out of the box" experience the other day when i showed you my latest work. Im curious though, is this the project you told me you would start? I gotta tell ya! I love the idea. Awesome start to a project. Kudos.